Monday, April 17, 2006

One of the best parts of my new job are the conversations M, L, and I have over breakfast. M and L are generally in good moods after waking up and playing for a while, so we don't have the usual struggles over diet (they could eat nothing but carbohydates ever, while I'd like to sneak in the occasional protein or roughage. But I digress.) We'll talk about most anything - M and L are rarely at a loss for topics of conversation, even if they do tend most frequently towards palentology and human biology. I've noticed, though, that this is the time when M likes to ask follow-up questions about things we discussed the day before. This is one thing I've learned: kids don't forget anything you say, ever. I'm often rhetorical, ironic, and off-the-cuff in my speech. These don't necessarily mix well, although the results are often amusing to say the least. The important thing, I've decided, is just to be honest and straightforward about everything.

I'd post examples, but after a 14-hour day yesterday, and a 12-hour day today, my brain is only marginally functional. I should make more of an effort to scribble things down as they occur.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This is one thing I've learned: kids don't forget anything you say, ever."

You'll realize this to an even greater extent as time goes on. I remember a comment I made to my god-daughter once about pausing on railroad tracks only to have her Momma call me a few days later to ask "what in the world was Jade talking about."

As for the smoking- well, the same girl told her kindergarten teacher that when she grew up, she was going to smoke just like Miss Stephanie. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home