Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Uncle D, do you want to see my new cars?

This is how my new job begins. I've been a computer software developer and network administrator for the better part of twelve years. I'm really good at it. I first touched a computer probably twenty-five years ago when my dad got an inventory management system installed at his showroom. As part of the final configuration, we were asked to press Y or N to confirm. I was allowed to type the critical key. Beside myself with excitement, I pressed U by mistake. It was an auspicious beginning.

But back to the matters at hand. Over the past year or so, I realized I've got burned out on working with computers. Everything I've done in that realm is intangible, virtual, unreal. It's something of a shame, I'm quite good at at it, but I've come to find it unsatisfying. So when my sister jokingly asked me if I wanted a new job taking care of her children for a few months, I jumped at the chance. My company was generous enough to allow me to take a leave of absence and even do some work part-time remotely, so here I am.

Uncle D, do you want to see my new cars? Yes, M, I do, very much. M is my five year-old nephew. He's smart as a whip, stubborn as a mule, and as I'm learning, remembers everything you say. He's obsessed with motorized transportation of all shapes and forms. L is my two year-old niece, sweet as anything for the most part but prone to, um, provoking her brother when she gets bored. And gives M a run for his money in the tenacity department. My job, for the next few months at least, is to keep them healthy, happy, and engaged. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home